This blog post is for YOU. It’s about safes. Have a read, if you will.
It’s bad enough when thieves break into your property, and even worse when they take irreplaceable, sentimentally important items. Gut-wrenching.
The emotional impact is devastating, but maybe could have been avoided had the most important items been in a safe.
But safes are a hard sell. Let’s face it, it’s hard enough to persuade people of the benefits & necessity of having health insurance, trauma insurance, income protection insurance, etc., let alone persuading people that putting their valuables in a safe is a great idea.
Pharaoh Rameses II saw the benefit of putting his valuables in a safe. It is believed his safe was the world’s very first safe. So, safes have been around for a while now, and with technological upgrades they’re no longer made of wood…..
You can put what you want to in a safe and you don’t have to be rich to have one. Perhaps you have beautiful-but-inexpensive jewellery, and because you love it, you want it safe. Or maybe family mementos. If you’re a photographer, you may want to store your kit in a safe.
Putting your important items in a safe not only gives you peace of mind, it means you always know where these things are when you need them! A safe is easy for you to access, but very hard for a thief to access. That’s why having a safe is a great idea.
“I agree, having a safe is a great idea. What do I do now?”
There are endless website pages out there telling you what types of safes there are, but my aim here is to show you how to get the best safe for your budget and requirements.
- What will the safe contain? Documents, photos, jewellery, equipment, cash, etc. Decide on the type of items that you wish the safe to protect.
- Find a ‘safe’ locksmith (see what I did there?) who will help you find the safe that’s right for the items you will be storing in there. Do this, because there are different safes for different uses, and different grading of safes within those categories. You could also discuss what would be the ideal locking mechanism for you.
- Contact your insurer as they may have specific requirements for what you are wanting to protect. If you don’t buy the type of safe they require you to have, your insurance may be voided.
- Install the safe. Purchase the safe from the locksmith and, if it needs to be fitted, ask them to install the safe for you. The safe’s warranty may be voided if it isn’t correctly installed, and a locksmith will ensure a safe is correctly installed. We were once asked to fix a safe to the plasterboard of a wall, which we refused to do – a thief with a good knife could quickly cut the safe out & disappear with it. Instead, we found a better place for the safe.
- Maintain the safe. This is very important. Don’t forget to change its lock’s batteries when required, or you may find yourself unable to access it and having to call the locksmith for help! Your locksmith may offer an annual maintenance service, which would take care of this for you.
If you need help with an existing safe or choosing a new safe, Alba Locksmiths can help you.
Call 0800 GO ALBA to talk to a locksmith
Bottom image copyright Assa Abloy New Zealand Ltd and top image copyright Alba Locksmiths Ltd
Back to the Blog main page